Here at flower patch we are passionate and dedicated to seeking the most beautiful blooms of the season, and harnessing and bringing that beauty and joy to you. Each season, each month, each passing day has its own blooms and its own passing glory.
We want to share with you some of our favorite flowers through the passing of the months, and bring you a new flower to highlight every month!
If you would like to receive a bundle of our year of flowers feature every single month to keep your home fresh and beautiful, CLICK HERE.
June 2022- Gerbera Daisies
Today we bring to you a summer flower, Gerbera Daisies. Beautiful, bold, and colorful they bring joy to any home, garden, or arrangement and are popular in part due to their wide variety of blues, pinks, and yellow among other fabulous colors!
What is it?
The Gerbera Daisy is a perennial plant, and one of more than 30 varieties of daisy that originated in South Africa. It was named in honour of German botanist and medical doctor Traugott Gerber (1710-1743) who travelled extensively in Russia and was a friend of Carl Linnaeus. The first scientific description of a Gerbera was made by J.D. Hooker in Curtis’s Botanical Magazine in 1889 when he described Gerbera jamesonii, a South African species also known as Transvaal daisy or Barberton daisy.
sometimes referred to as the smiley flower, the Gerbera daisy is A lively flower that brightens bouquets and arrangements, and is long lasting in vases. Gerbera Daisies release oxygen at night, so keep some by your bedside for a healthier sleeping atmosphere!
Flowers have had different meanings throughout different time periods and cultures.
- The Victorian meaning of this flower is Happiness.
- To the egyptians, it symbolized closeness and devotion to nature and the sun, while the celts believed it had the power to take away stress and sorrow.
- In Norse Mythology, the daisy is the sacred flower of Freya- the goddess of love, blessings and fertility.
Though all meanings are slightly different, we can all agree that this flower seems to bring joy to everyone it comes into contact with.
If you’re caring for a planted or potted Gerbera Daisy, follow a few guidelines.
- Completely wet the soil when watering, water about once a week, or when the soil feels dry
- Put the plant in full sun either outside, or a window that gets plenty of natural sunlight.
- Trim wilting leaves and flowers to help promote growth of new buds.
Gerbera Daisies are a perennial plant, so as long as they stay warm enough and healthy enough, they will keep living, growing, and flowering!
If you’re caring for Gerbera Daisies in a vase or container of water, they can last quite a while with the correct amount of care.
- Cut the stems at an angle, and put into a clean vase, with fresh, clean water.
- Put the flowers in a cool area with a lot of natural sunlight.
- Change the water frequently and add fresh, cool water to keep your flowers fresh and beautiful for longer!